Monday, November 12, 2007

what's the big deal with Ron Paul?

I guess what's so impressive about him is that he just answers the questions that get asked of him. Watch him get interviewed by a seasoned journalist like Bob Scheiffer. Now, usually, B gets really pissed off at the politicos he interviews because they half-answer or don't answer at all. But while interviewing Paul, he seemed to listen in awe of the man.
I noticed this abject fascination when he was interviewed by jon stewart and steven colbert. They just listened with bright eyes the way people used to listen with bright eyes to JFK. ( who was a political hero if not a philandering husband.) He has captivated the nation with his honesty. And that's what people like. He's handsome enough, yes, but that is not where the widespread attraction lies. I really think it's becasue he's just out there, saying what he thinks, standing by the constitution because he believes in it. And that is what makes people believe in him.
I don't agree with everything he does, but I definitely do not disagree with his stance on my being able to homeschool my kids. I put my daughter into the public school system reading at a second-grade level and doing addition and subtraction and now, in the first grade, she has to relearn all of that, because it wasn't utilized and she has forgotten it. ( I was also home-schooled and went into the public school system in the 5th grade and left in the 10th grade having LITERALLY gained NO knowledge, but instead lost much of what had been basic knowledge.)

i like his whole "the government can't tell you what you can and can't put into your body" attitude while still maintaining that every life, even a fetus, has a constitutional right to be born. (actually, it's in the declaration of independence..."life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness") What does concern me is this: if a woman is a meth addict and gets pregnant, what's going to happen to that baby? Since he is pro-life, I'd like to know how he would handle the situation.
I don't know if i'll vote for him or not, and there are a lot of questions i'd like to ask him, but i can definitely see why he is so captivating.

No comments: